Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Surgery Day 06/26/12 @ 1:30pm and Post Op (Bandaged) Photo

 
********************
Well, I wrote this post a little over 7 hours post surgery. It went well. :)
******************** 

I woke up about 9:30, showered, washed my hair and scrubbed all over really well with Hibiclens.

At 10:30am, I took Emend (a pill to help with nausea.... When I had my wisdom teeth pulled YEARS ago, it made me violently ill, so the doctor and anesthesiologist planned ahead for me to try to help me not get sick).

By 11:30, I was showered and ready to go. I was also hungry and thirsty. :( I hadn't eaten since 12a and no water since 4a.

The ride there was quiet.... My fiancé held my hand and told me that everything will be just fine. Just his presence made me feel better.

We got to the surgery center, signed in, I signed final paperwork, and was temporarily separated from my fiancé.

The nurse brought to my recovery room and he was asked to wait for a few minutes while they started my process. I put on a gown and silly surgery grippy socks and got comfortable.

The nurse asked me a few final questions, answered my questions and took my vitals. Another nurse who would assist in surgery came in to say hi and see how I was doing. She was sweet, very warm and friendly like the first nurse.

The anesthesiologist came in and helped to calm me. He gave me a pain-free IV and said when I get in the surgery room, he will let me know when the "sleep time" will start.

I had to give a urine sample to the nurse and when I returned, my fiancé and the doctor were waiting for me.

We talked to the doctor. He answered final questions, put me at ease, and marked my chest for surgery. He said I'll be in surgery for 45 minutes to an hour and we will be starting soon.

He left to prepare and within minutes it was time to go. My fiancé kissed me and I was wheeled off on my recovery bed.

In the surgery room I started to get really nervous. But the staff was AMAZING!!

The nurse had me slide from my recovery bed to the surgery bed and got me comfortable. She laid a warm blanket on me and massaging leg wraps on my calves. I had to stretch my arms out and they were covered up with warm towels.

The anesthesiologist told me that it's time to start and to relax. He said I'll close my eyes and when I open them, I'll be in recovery. He did warn me that there would be a chance that I might wake up a little when I am sat up to be bandaged (but I did not).

He said to tell him when I feel something... And about that time I sure felt something. I was able to say "I think I am starting to feel..." and that's all I remember.

About an hour or so later, I started to come around in the recovery room. I was greeted by an incredible recovery nurse. He was the best of them all.

I don't recall too much right away other than having to move from the recovery bed. And I know I felt a little nauseous

The anesthesiologist came in and he and the nurse gave me more meds. The anesthesiologist told me he also gave me a lot of anti-nausea in my IV too.

I was in and out of it for what felt like a long time. My fiancé was the best though! He helped me take sips of water and ginger ale and have me cracker bites.

When I had to focus and do something, I could. But I fell asleep in between those times.

I didn't feel true pain (and now it's 9:46 and I still haven't). My arms sore (the nurse told me its from the way they have to manipulate them during the surgery( and armpits are a little "pinchy" (again my incisions are there and all the gauze and bandages are kinda rubbing me funny).

Otherwise the feeling is a terrible pressure on your chest, the weight and tightness is manageable but is very present. I won't call it pain really.... It's more of an uncomfortable, constant pressure and tightness.

Plus it's taken up till now to be able to take a deep breathe without a great deal of pressure and increased tightness. The nurse gave me a breathing toy where I have to make the ball float in the tube when I breathe in to help me use deep lung breathing.



(Later I realize how much it helps.)

My doctor came in to check on me, have me take a hydrocodone (Vicodin) for pain (even though I wasn't in that bad of pain). He said everything went very well and that they look great. He seems genuinely excited to show me them tomorrow.

He said I still have to pee before they will let me leave and to try to go soon.

The nurse came in and helped me walk to the rest room... And it was a no go.

So I drank a cup of water, a can of ginger ale, and three little cans of cranberry juice (on top of two IV bags I already had running through me..... Guess who was probably dehydrated when she went into surgery...).

The nurse also showed me a few tricks like pouring warm water over the genitals, bare feet on the cold floor, running water, and finally walking laps.

Then he dropped the catheter bomb if I couldn't pee on my own....

I tried one last time and I really strained. I finally peed!!

But the activity and straining made me nauseous!

I returned to the room my fiancé helped me to dress and the nurse gave me Zofran for the nausea. And it took a little bit, but it eventually helped.

The nurse wheeled me out to my car and assisted me in. He was so sweet and comforting. And he commended my fiancé for his excellent care of me. He said that he is hired! :)

Since we don't live close to the doctor's office, we opted to stay at a hotel close by. And I am SO thankful for that!!

The short few mile drive was slightly painful. I really couldn't support myself all that well since I have the armpit incision and the gauze is padded up pretty thick under there.

We finally got to the Hilton and I was wheeled up to the hotel room. I didn't feel nauseous anymore and was just sore.

And I got my first glimpse of my chest. WOW! They already look good and I'm so excited to see them tomorrow. My fiancé seems excited too. :) And he also seems more calm.

My fiancé got my all set up on a bed and comfortable. and we ordered something to eat. I enjoyed a nice fresh caprese salad and I did not feel ill at all. I took my antibiotic and painkiller and had some Gatorade.

I am now resting comfortably, and am going to watch some TV and relax. I'll be taking more painkillers and a muscle relaxer soon. The pain pump seems to be helping too. Not that I have anything to compare it too, but if you're on the fence about it, I would say it's worth it. I wouldn't want to know what it feels like without it.

I will say this though, I am experiencing a little bleeding from the tubes from the pain pump. It's not terrible and doesn't hurt. But it does look a little freaky.  http://www.iflo.com/prod_onq_classic.php





My post-op appointment is at 10am on 06/27/2012. I'm excited for that and yes... I'll be updating that appointment and finishing older posts too.



No comments:

Post a Comment