Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Two L-O-N-G Weeks Before Surgery


As soon as I walked out of my pre-op appointment, I did what almost all nervous people do before a surgery...

I got on the computer and started researching, read, and in some cases, freaking my self out!

The links I provided in my Welcome/Preface page really helped me.  There is a lot of good info in there.

I also started reading about other women's accounts to see what I might expect.  This was a double edged sword.  It helped because if everyone said that they felt better in X amount of days, then I felt good I might feel good then too.  But reading about the darker side of BA's and even though my surgeon already talked to me about all of it, it still made me anxious.

My fiance kept yelling at me to stop because I was just getting myself worked up, but for whatever reason, I couldn't stop.

I  started to have anxiety dreams/nightmares.  I guess that is pretty common.

I also had an idea of what I MAY expect after surgery and that actually helped.

Things that I prepared myself to (or that I might) experience include but were not limited to:

- Knowing the 1st 3 days after surgery will be the worst
- Post Op blues (please see my post "The Post-Op Blues" specifically on this topic http://ej339cc.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/the-post-op-blues/ )
-My breasts will be extra big and NOT the final/right size due to the swelling for awhile

- They might be sitting too high and may need a band to help pull them down

- My nipples might point down or be uneven for awhile
- I could be bloated for days to a week or two (usually due to anesthesia/pain meds)

- I could be constipated (usually due to anesthesia/pain meds)

- My breast skin could become extremely shiny
- My breasts and/or nipples could be numb and/or hypersensitive
- My incisions could look puffy/natural/pretty gross and produce yellow crust
- My breasts could heal at different rates, drop at different rates, soften at different rates, etc
- Not liking what I see for awhile/feeling unnatural/feeling regret
- What to do to prepare myself and my house for coming home from surgery

So for days before my surgery, I read and read.  I do not know if it hurt anything, but I think it helped a lot.

I was also able to better prepare my fiance for what to expect both physically and mentally for me.  I know that helped him.

I also got my medications filled and went to the grocery store to be sure I would have everything I need as soon as I got home.

I knew that icing your breasts is a big help and to plan for that I got these cool gel like cooler "sheets".  They were light weight and covered my whole chest from armpit to armpit and collarbone to lower ribs.  

One of the cool and fun things I did get to do was that I gave my best friend my collection of Victoria's Secret "Miraculous" bras (the ones that make you two cup sizes bigger).  It was a really col thought to me that I wouldn't need them anymore.

After all of this, I just waited until my big day came!

No comments:

Post a Comment